One of the many perks of being an Walt Disney Resort guest is that you are given complimentary solid colored MagicBands for each ticketed person in your party. *
The MagicBand serves many purposes as an on-property guest**:
- MagicBands serve as your hotel room key. Just hold your MagicBand up to the door keypad and you’re in! You can check-in online using the My Disney Experience (MDE) app and never have to stop by the front desk. Once the MDE says your room is ready and provide you with your room location, head to the assigned room, scan and you’re in!
- Dining. MagicBand is tied to everything in your MDE account, meaning your meal plans, tickets, hotel reservation and even credit card. When dining, scan your band during check-out or with the service staff/Cast Member at any Walt Disney World Resort, Theme Park or Disney Springs dining location to use your credits or charge your meal to your credit card.
- Park Ticket and FastPass. Walt Disney World theme park tickets should be linked to your MDE account and will be linked to your MagicBand’s that Disney mails you for that particular trip. When arriving at the parks you will ask to scan your Magic Band and provide a finger print (finger print only during your initial entry to that park). This will validate your park entry! It also will be what you use to scan into the FastPass lines when you have booked a FastPass through MDE app/website.
It’s easy to see that a MagicBand truly is your key to all things Walt Disney World. It’s important to make sure they stay secure and with you at all times. With children, this could be exceptionally challenging. Some parents prefer to wear their child/children’s MagicBand because of the fear of them getting lost or falling off. However, some children will be less than pleased with this answer as the MagicBand makes them feel independent, like everyone else and usually is the color or design they selected to wear.
So, how do you let your child wear without fear of being lost?
- MagicBands can be made to fit smaller wrists. There is a section on the MagicBand that can be torn away to reveal a smaller band. No additional pieces or special tools. Just pull away and it’s ready to go.
- Purchase a small bit to add extra security. You can find these inexpensive pieces on Amazon. They slide on, much like a watch loop. Making them more secure and less likely to fall off.
- You can also purchase special puck holders (which is the made component of the MagicBand that holds all the info. It’s the Oval Shaped Mickey center of the MagicBand). This is purely option and up to your desired look/use. Etsy shops have lots of things you can do change up how your MagicBand looks and how you wear them.
- Take a photo of the back of your MagicBand. Let’s say you just finished a Fastpass attraction, then walked over to another attraction, then another and then your child (or you!) realize the MagicBand is missing! First, contact a Cast Member to see if they can assist you in locating your lost band. The next step is to visit Guest Services where they can essentially disable the MagicBand and set you up with a card or new MagicBand to replace your missing band. Usually, if MagicBands are found, Disney will return it to you! Having a photo of the back of the MagicBand can make it easier for Disney Guest Services to help you track/disable your MagicBand. It never hurts to have this in your camera roll!
There are many benefits of MagicBands and many ways to wear them. Feel free to share how you wear your MagicBands in the comments!
*For an additional charge, you can elect to upgrade your MagicBand to a speciality design (subject to availability). Disney will credit the value of the solid colored band toward the upgrade.
** Off-Property guests can elect to purchase MagicBands for their Walt Disney World Vacations. They can be linked to My Disney Experience and can be assigned to your active tickets and used for your FastPasses.
If you are considering a trip to Walt Disney World and would like help planning, contact me! I’d love to assist you with your family’s magical vacation!