Since we are at the beginning of a new year, I thought it may be fun to share with you five things I am looking forward to being able to see and experience at Walt Disney World in 2023.
- Walt Disney World Railroad After nearly 4 years of closure, the Walt Disney World railroad in Magic Kingdom is reopened! Walt Disney World reopened this attraction over the holidays and I can’t wait to get back on it. We recently were able to ride the Railroad while in Disneyland and it was great to be able to relax and take in the sights around the park while also saving our legs from more walking. My youngest was just over 3 years old when Walt Disney World closed the Railroad for refurbishment and track movement (for my #2 item on this list, 😉 ).
- TRON Again, after years of construction and preparation, we now know Tron is opening in the Magic Kingdom, this Spring. (Returning April 4, 2023!!)
3. EPCOT Construction We continue to see more and more construction walls coming down at EPCOT. Significant progress has been made on “Moana: Journey of Water” and will be opening sometime likely in 2024. In the meantime, I continue to appreciate how much the park has evolved, even while hurdling all the obstacles that have arisen with COVID closures and phased reopening.
4. NIGHTTIME SPECTACULAR UPDATES During the D23 EXPO in Anaheim last September, Disney announced that “Happily Ever After” is coming back to Magic Kingdom. This nighttime spectacular was Magic Kingdom’s nighttime show that ran nightly prior to installation of Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary’s “Disney Enchantment.” Happily Ever After was wildly popular during its run and many fans (including myself) love the show more than it’s current replacement.
One nighttime show I am sad to see go, but an anxious to see what is to come, is the replacement of “Harmonious,” EPCOT’s nighttime spectacular. Harmonious is a combination of lights, water, fireworks, projections, and beautiful musical interpretations of Disney Animation hits. Honestly, it has it all. The show has seen a lot of criticism over it’s large barge installations in the World Showcase Lagoon and the fact that some “viewing” locations aren’t the most optimal experience. I am interested to see what they do with the new technologies they have installed and how they will adapt the new show based on fans mixed feedback. (Happily Ever and EPCOT Forever return April 3, 2023!)
5. Disney 100 While this celebration is primarily geared toward all things Disneyland Resort, this year Disney is celebrating 100 years of Disney Animation Studios. This is a huge accomplishment for any company and I am excited to see they are bringing some of the celebration to Orlando with with merchandise and other Disney100 related things to come. Any milestone is worth celebrating and a century is an outstanding number to achieve!